For the last 17 years Soundabout has delivered training packages to professionals in special needs schools, colleges, children's centres, residential homes and to other organisations that work with people with learning disabilities, throughout the UK. For example, in 2013 we delivered over 120 training days to 80 different schools and organisations in England, Scotland and Wales. We use interactive musical and communication techniques with their pupils / students / group members: however, our techniques are about far more than just ‘making music’. They promote self-expression and interaction, encourage well-being and build relationships (to read more about our approach, click on: 'our methods').
In addition to this, Soundabout’s doors are open to all children, young people and adults who have severe and complex learning difficulties via our families and community programme. We currently run family community sessions for children, young people and adults in Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire and surrounding counties. We also run several multi-sensory interactive music festivals throughout the year. Through making music we help them develop their ability to communicate and interact with each other and the world around them – and have a lot of fun along the way (to read more, click on: 'families & community').
Our work is divided into five main areas:
(1) Delivering training in schools and other settings to other professionals in the UK
(2) Delivering a community programme that includes multi-sensory interactive music festivals
(3) Delivering training via our Education Centre and
(4) Leading the Sounds of Intent dissemination programme
(5) Sponsoring and hosting the Roehampton accredited PGCert in Music and Special Needs: 'Sounds of Intent'